Take a chance – why I moved.

Sometimes in life you have to decide to just take a chance.  I’ve done just that, and I have relocated to the Milwaukee area from Bayfield.

In March, I acknowledged that I was totally miserable. I was creatively empty, and that’s not good when your income depends on your creativity.

In April, I started looking for a job.

In May, I accepted a new position as the Director of Social Media and Digital Content for Bast Durbin Advertising.  It is an absolute DREAM job for me.  It’s everything I love -fishing, hunting, social media, photography, speaking, data – everything. It’s as if EVERY skill I had gained in the past 10 years of self employment was put in to one job.

I was 100% planning on staying in Bayfield and working remotely, but I realized I was so sad there.

Every time I left, it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. It’s probably (ok it IS) why I was gone 3 weeks out of every month since last December.  It’s weird when you are in a place that refuels others, but destroys your own creativity.  I felt so guilty being in a place everyone else wants to be, when all I wanted to do was run away as often as possible.  The lake, our Lake Superior, is vast and overwhelming in it’s beauty, but it can also be can be extremely isolating for an extroverted creative person.

If you are in a place – literally or figuratively – and it makes you feel stuck – sometimes you just have to pull off that band aid and change everything.

So I did.

So now I am in Milwaukee (well Caledonia to be exact). I am closer to my family in Madison. I’m fishing Lake Michigan all week when I am not doing social media strategy or writing my book (YES – I am writing a book about the past few years! Please notice the photo of the GTI with fish and firearms… that’s a freaking whole chapter).

I get to fish with my favorite human as much as I want – AND hang out with his awesome doggy, Bear. My own dogs are happy and have a fabulous couch to relax on – and a big back yard that’s fenced in. I might be happier for my dogs than for me.   😉

I’ll still be in Bayfield for shoots – that’s not ever going to change.  My best friends live there & my amazing mother in law, Betsy is there.  She has taken care of me for so long – and I would not have been able to do what I needed to do that past few years without her.

What else does that mean?

1. I am accepting new social media AND outdoor photography clients over at Bast Durbin!  If you are looking for strategy or implementation, I am your woman, PLUS now I have all kinds of other services that can be put together with what I do.  Print, digital, TV, 3D… you name it.
  2. Milwaukee area sessions, people! I’ll be booking sessions now in the Milwaukee area, just shoot me an email if you’re interested!
  3. Milwaukee area social media seminars are in the works- stay tuned for that!

I am so excited for all the good that has come into my life – and I am excited for new adventures on a new Great Lake!  If you want to follow the hilarity – check out my Instagram – @stonehousephoto .

This post may contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a portion of the purchase price. I appreciate you sharing these links - it keeps me in business!

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts and our weekly newsletter.

21 Comments on Take a chance – why I moved.

1. Barbara Bowman
    July 18, 2017 at 8:42 pm (2 months ago)

Happy for you, Hannah 🙂

2. Greg Le Grand
    July 18, 2017 at 9:24 pm (2 months ago)

I’m happy for you, Hannah. Good luck.

3. Wendy Schmoll
    July 18, 2017 at 9:28 pm (2 months ago)

Best wishes in all your future endeavors, Hannah. I am forever grateful that we had the opportunity to meet face-to-face before you left the area. Keep on keepin’ on – and may your light shine brightly across the miles for all to continue to see.

4. Maria Bresette
    July 18, 2017 at 9:31 pm (2 months ago)

Enjoy Your new life….You sound Happy!
    My Dad is in Milwaukee visiting his Family right now.
    Best Wishes in All You Do!

5. Holly
    July 18, 2017 at 9:41 pm (2 months ago)

Best wishes in all your future endeavors. Good luck.

6. Joan Cybela
    July 18, 2017 at 9:44 pm (2 months ago)

So happy for you, Hannah! You’re a bright light of love, inspiration, compassion and achieving goals and dreams. The very best to you always …

7. Karlyn
    July 18, 2017 at 9:54 pm (2 months ago)

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and EXTREMELY proud. ♡

8. Colette abissi
    July 18, 2017 at 10:20 pm (2 months ago)

Much happiness in your new adventure, Hannah!
    Lizzie and Nick send their best wishes!

9. John Sullivan
    July 18, 2017 at 10:24 pm (2 months ago)

I am glad you made the “move.” It will perhaps not be without negative emotions at times, but deal with them you will. We are all the same, all different, and all unique – but you are unique-er than average, Hannah ! So happy you are following your dreams. Luck you have had – good and bad. But you have made some of your own good luck, and certainly have taught so many people how to deal with the bad. Glad I met you, and have had the privilege and pleasure of sharing your life – such as I know you from FB. Good luck to you now and in the future.

10. Faye
    July 18, 2017 at 11:36 pm (2 months ago)

Congrats to you! When you say your favorite human and his dog Bear — is that John of John & Schoep fame? I ordered his famous photo from you and I follow him on Facebook. Sounds like a wonderful move.
    Stay well!

11. Jim Rogers
    July 18, 2017 at 11:59 pm (2 months ago)

Hannah, haven’t seen you lately, and haven’t had a hug for a long time.
    I, my wife, Barb, who as you know, has cancer, and our daughters, Lisa and Amy,
    Are so priveliged to have gotten to meet you, and ride your roller coaster with you.
    God bless you, and may you have continuing great success and a truly happy life.

12. Dawn Freney
    July 19, 2017 at 7:03 am (2 months ago)

I’m happy that you realized that the sadness of Bayfield and Lake Superior were uniquely tied together. Now you just have a whole new bunch of friends you haven’t met yet! We all wish the biggest success doing what you love and making others happy. And I can’t wait for the book that’s for sure!!!

13. Dawn Freney
    July 19, 2017 at 7:04 am (2 months ago)

You deserve all the happiness in the world Hannah! And I can’t wait for the book!

14. Therese Lee
    July 19, 2017 at 7:42 am (2 months ago)

Congratulations on your new life journey, Hannah! I only know you from FB but feel so fortunate to have come in contact with you through social media and at probably the lowest point in your life . You have shared yourself in a social arena which is not easy but your followers thank you for the chance to “know” you, your humor and talent. Now is your time and I’m excited you have found someone to share your passions with. Be happy, sweet girl…❤️❤️

15. Hannah
    July 19, 2017 at 9:06 am (2 months ago)

Different Bear and person 🙂

16. Julie
    July 19, 2017 at 11:37 am (2 months ago)

Congratulations and hope all the best comes your way —- you deserve it!

17. Kinda
    July 19, 2017 at 5:39 pm (2 months ago)

Wishing you and Stewie, and all your other fur family, all the best ms Hannah. May you prosper and be in good health, physically and emotionally…you’ve always been an inspiration, through the good and the bad, shown such a positive attitude even when it seemed impossible to do so. You are a beautiful person and have so much love to give and deserve to receive. May God bless you and all you aspire to do. Prayers for peace and happiness in your life and all your relationships, may you find love again and may all your dreams come true.

18. Linda
    July 19, 2017 at 5:41 pm (2 months ago)

19. Karen
    July 19, 2017 at 8:47 pm (2 months ago)

Oh my wonderfully, kind, person, that yes if you ever get back up to Washburn please give me a holler.
    I knew years ago how invested you had been with your & Jim’s lives. You put on a brave front for many…call ol Momma’s intuition. Yep 63 is what folks think old…hahahaha.
    My heart leaps with joy for you. I am so thankful for this change you have made. Truly I am. Who could ever want you to be where memories, even great ones, just brought anxiety…etc….!
    I finally making my move to a place that I have wanted for over 20+ years.
    You are iin my thoughts daily & I only want the best life has for you & your pups. Kindness your way young one always. I will be on the look out for that book!

20. Lisa
    July 20, 2017 at 9:46 am (2 months ago)

So happy for you. I understand how you feel about Bayfield. I love it here on the Island but it is not where I live most of the time. I lost my husband this spring and am planning on moving to a place full of family and energy for me. Your story gave me a kick to get going. Thank you and good luck with everything.