How to Pay for Emergency Pet Care | Unexpected Medical Expenses

How to pay for my pet's care

Pets are our kids.  We love them and want the best care possible if they get hurt. The best option is pet insurance but sometimes even that isn’t enough.  Ever since I took the Schoep and John photo I get emails from wonderful pet owners who simply cannot afford an unexpected vet bill and need advice on where to look. There are a ton of resources out there, but the problem is finding them when you need them. I’m hoping this is a nice one stop resource for those who need it.

First of all, get pet insurance – it is so nice to have when weird stuff occurs.  Trupanion has a wonderful program, as does PetPlan. If you don’t have it, however, I do have some great resources for you!

Unexpected medical expenses pop up at the most inopportune (ok – always at inopportune) times.  It’s not a reflection of someone’s character if they’re not able to pay.  Sometimes weird stuff just happens – and it’s usually right on top of a refrigerator breaking, needing new brakes, or something else ridiculously expensive.

If you cannot find a vet who will let you pay later or let you do a payment plan, there are options such as Care Credit  In addition, if you don’t qualify for Care Credit, there are definitely other ways to fund care.

Online Fundraising:

Want to raise all or a portion of your funds through donations?  Many, but not all,  online fundraisers take a small percentage to pay credit card fees, etc.  Make sure you read the fine print.

Emergency Vet Care Funds:

• Six Legs:  http://www.sixlegsfoundation.org/  – a non-profit organization aimed at providing assistance to struggling dog owners for routine or emergency veterinary care or spay/neuter surgeries.  I visited them for their launch – check out the fun party here.

Grants, food help, etc

State specific:

And again, get pet insurance – it is so nice to have when weird stuff occurs. PetPlan has a wonderful program.

This list of emergency pet care funds is not guaranteed, nor do I endorse any of the companies/products/organizations/non profits listed.  This list is also not a comprehensive list, and if you know of others, PLEASE list them in the comments below.  I would appreciate it!  I want to help as many people and pets as I can.  I would also love it if you would share this on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or anywhere else you feel people would benefit from the information.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts and our weekly newsletter.

13 Comments on How to Pay for Emergency Pet Care | Unexpected Medical Expenses

1. wade
    January 15, 2014 at 5:20 pm (4 years ago)

I keep a credit card issued by GE Capital that I have used for several, large, emergency vet or surgical procedures. They typically offer 6 or 12 months with 0% interest. Comes in handy and many vets and emergency facilities accept it.

2. Diane
    January 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you so much for this info. My dog (Siberian Husky) just had her eye removed (due to glaucoma & a growth) ; during the process she was also found to have liver cancer. I am reeling from the bills, and we haven’t even started with the cancer yet. I so appreciate you sharing this, I will definitely look into it.
    Diane

3. Jacquir
    January 16, 2014 at 11:27 pm (4 years ago)

As far as anyone can tell pet food stamps looks like a scam. People signed up over a year ago and no one has received anything other than requests for more information.

4. Ruth Bennett
    January 17, 2014 at 8:00 am (4 years ago)

This is a great list! I applied & got Care Credit when my dog was a puppy so “just in case” something came up, I was covered. Well when he was 2 he needed some shots & a few blood tests that were a bit expensive. I called Care Credit to make sure of the amount of credit I had. I was told it was CANCELED due to INACTIVITY! Long story short, I had to re apply again . So be careful! In the defense of Care Credit, I did have to use this card a couple yrs ago for my dogs emergency surgery. If I didn’t have it I don’t know what I would have done! I’ll probably be paying it off forever, but I don’t care, my baby was worth every cent!

5. Sue Shank
    February 6, 2014 at 7:28 am (4 years ago)

Hannah,
    There is a vet in Richmond, Va Lori Pasternak at Helping Hands Affordable Veterinary Surgery and Dental who does extremely low cost surgeries of all kinds on animals. She is strictly a surgeon and opened her practice 4 years ago as an alternative for people whose animals needed surgery which the owners could not afford so would just opt to put the pet down. She makes it very affordable and lets people do community service to help pay their bill. If you would like to add her to your list. She has people that come from all over the country for her to work on their animals. She does surgeries that some vets won’t even attempt.

Thanks,
    Sue-foster mom to Eva The Megaesophagus Wonder Girl (on FB). Maybe sometime you could do a photo shoot of megaesophagus dogs that are being saved??

6. Hannah
    February 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Sue! I will check it out. Hugs to you 🙂

7. Wendy Treadway
    February 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm (4 years ago)

How can you say that Pet Food Stamps is a scam???? Look at the news stations and places that have had the story on! It’s from a company called PETFLOW and they are a reputable company, I have ordered from them in the past. They are overwhelmed with applications and it is a new program. They are not a huge company as I know of so give the place a chance before you call them a scam. They are running this program on donations.

8. Hannah
    February 7, 2014 at 3:30 am (4 years ago)

I will check more in to that one – it doesn’t look like it is to me, however I have not had any direct contact with them. Thanks!

9. Linda
    February 13, 2014 at 11:04 am (4 years ago)

I just want to mention Red Rover, they are a wonderful organization as well.

10. Hannah
    February 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm (4 years ago)

Awesome – thank you!!

11. Ellen
    February 13, 2014 at 2:38 pm (4 years ago)

Gopetplan is ranked #1 pet Ins!! I love it! Call them for help in deciding which plan is best for you!

12. Victoria Lewonl
    February 16, 2014 at 9:55 am (4 years ago)

I have and used Care Credit many times over past several years, both for emergencies and scheduled surgeries. Get it if you can. If anyone in the Stafford or Fredericksburg, Va. area is looking for a Vet I highly recommend White Oak Animal Hospital. They accept Care Credit and are excellent care providers.

13. Amee
    March 4, 2014 at 7:21 pm (4 years ago)

A great resource to help with an emergency Vet Bill and other life savings resources that offer reading programs for kids and provide save shelter for both human and animal victims of domestic violence. Please check out http://www.redrover.org/