Jim

On January 26th, 2013, my worst nightmare came true.  With a loud knock on the front door, my world came crashing down, and I found out the love of my life, Jim Hudson, had gone through the ice on Lake Superior while he was guiding.  It’s March 17th, and I am just now coming out of my fog.  It drifts in and out, but every day I am better.  I miss him so much, but he is with me everywhere I go.  He is in the land, and the air, and the water.  He is by my side at all times – even if it’s critiquing my editing technique ;)…

I cannot thank Bayfield enough for the support, donations, love, and FOOD, I have received.

I cannot thank the Facebook community enough for the love, kind words, and donations.

I cannot thank the fishing community enough for taking care of me when I needed it most.

I cannot thank the random strangers enough for all the amazing things I have been given.

I cannot thank my clients enough for understanding things will take a little longer than usual, and I won’t seem very smart 🙂

You are all amazing, loving, kind people.  Take care of each other, and savor every moment you have, because you, really, truly never know what will come next.

Do what you love – pursue your passion!  He and I both encouraged each other to do what made us happiest.  I am hoping someone is reading this who needs that extra push to just go for it!

I’ll be back in a few weeks after a MAJOR time out in Belize.  No phone, no internet.  I need it.

Love to you all.

-Hannah

Photo credit – Magdalene Photography

This post may contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a portion of the purchase price. I appreciate you sharing these links - it keeps me in business!

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts and our weekly newsletter.

50 Comments on Jim

1. jan silloway
    March 17, 2013 at 9:35 am (5 years ago)

Oh Hannah, Much love to you from Chippewa Falls. I just know you’re being held in those big bear hugs right now. You go to Belize and have a wonderful time. Soak up the sun and enjoy what the Earth has to offer. Take care.

2. Jeannie
    March 17, 2013 at 9:47 am (5 years ago)

I have been following your photos, stories, etc for about two years now and have loved your spirit and eye for the wonderful in life. My heart and prayers go out to you during this time of rebuilding. I am sorry for your loss. This stranger and her three doggies (who love to see your photography) wish you the best and our sincerest condolences.

3. Barbara B
    March 17, 2013 at 9:49 am (5 years ago)

Hannah, you are courageous. You may feel like you are in a fog, but you will slowly come out of it. Your clients (including me 🙂 ) understand that your grief is overwhelming and what may have taken you days to do previously may now take you weeks. We are patient and want you to take care of yourself first. Our projects can wait. A wise person told me once that putting on your socks should not be exhausting. Jim is watching over you and I bet he is very proud of your strength. You are loved my many! Enjoy Belize.

4. Linda Sherry
    March 17, 2013 at 9:56 am (5 years ago)

enjoy your time out Hannah. you certainly have earned it. i hope u have a wonderful, relaxing time.

Linda Sherry
    rochester, NY

5. Kim
    March 17, 2013 at 10:23 am (5 years ago)

Dear Hannah-

What a lovely post and all the best to you- I was shattered when I saw what had happened and so sorry and a little worried it may have been a lot more public than you cared to deal with. All the very best ,enjoy the rest , love your beautiful work and will continue to follow along. xxoo

6. Cheryl Moreland
    March 17, 2013 at 10:27 am (5 years ago)

Hannah I pray you find peace and that your time in Belize will be one of healing, relaxation, reflection, and that you take care of you. God bless you and keep you as you deserve this time for yourself.

Cheryl Moreland
    Chesapeake, Virginia

7. Julie Wood
    March 17, 2013 at 10:36 am (5 years ago)

Hannah,
    I hope you have a wonderful time. I keep you in thought and prayer.
    Julie Wood
    Angleton, Texas

8. Linda Archambault
    March 17, 2013 at 10:43 am (5 years ago)

Dear Hannah

My sincere condolences. You two shared an extraordinary life together. I am so sorry he was taken away from you. They say’ and I have personally found it to be true, “time heals all”. We never forget but the empty hole of loss gets smaller with time. Good luck with the rest of your life, Hannah. Glad you area taking time off to find yourself.

9. Linda Hebard
    March 17, 2013 at 10:51 am (5 years ago)

Thank YOU Hannah for sharing it all…. the pain, the grief, the love, the joy, your heart, and soul….. I love your family more than I can express and admire you more than words can detail. Enjoy your time in Belize….. try to sneak some sun back with you. Much adoration – Linda Hebard – Madison, WI

10. Lu
    March 17, 2013 at 10:53 am (5 years ago)

Sending you BIG hugs from southern Wisconsin Hannah! Time is your best friend and your enemy right now….relax, reflect, shed some tears while you’re away. I’m sure you’ll come back from you trip even stronger! I hope someday to get up to Bayfield again to meet you…bucket list for me!!
    It’s so nice to hear you’re taking time for yourself!!
    Lu Schulz
    Madison, Wis.

11. Sheri
    March 17, 2013 at 10:54 am (5 years ago)

Sending prayers for peace and healing along with much love to you, Hannah. I know from experience that true love never leaves. Jim will always be with you…love lives forever. I hope your time in Belize is as healing as it is fun.

12. John Sullivan
    March 17, 2013 at 11:00 am (5 years ago)

What a precious photograph of Jim and you Hannah. Your sharing of your grief, your love, your gratitude, and your wise-beyond-your-years observations on life – are more moving than you might know.
    I once wrote that life was neither fair nor unfair, that life just was. Was I right to any degree? Perhaps.

13. Kelsey
    March 17, 2013 at 11:02 am (5 years ago)

Hannah, you are such an inspiration! My heart grieves for you – I know nothing makes it better, but I was comforted when I once heard someone say that when a soul learns what it needed to learn from this lifetime, it is then free to move on. It gives me hope to think this, and I hope it does for you to. I hope Belize is beautiful and restful for you!!

14. kathy i
    March 17, 2013 at 11:10 am (5 years ago)

That fog after the unexpected death of my husband took me at least 6 months to feel grounded again. I can’t seem to remember those 6 months, it may be a way our bodies help us cope
    Wish you well and always remember those great times with your best friend !

15. Kaye Radford
    March 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm (5 years ago)

You are such a brave lady take time to rest and heal .
    Kaye
    New Zealand

16. jerilee auclair
    March 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm (5 years ago)

Hannah, you are the only person I ‘follow’. I found you through John and Schoep’s picture (which I have here in the house, thank you) and you struck such a chord in my soul I followed you on your own page. Though I can’t post there, my heart is with you whenever I see you on FB. I cried for and with you when Jim crossed. Sending you so much love, always. <3 I too have the love of my life. Your reminder hits it here. Always love, always let them know, always pursue your passion. Thank you for sharing so much with all of us. Enjoy your time with YOU.

xoxo

Jerilee
    Sedona, AZ

17. Lisa Walker
    March 17, 2013 at 12:45 pm (5 years ago)

Have a great time Hannah!! I look forward to all the photos you will share with us. And “Thank You” for letting us into your life during the good times and the bad. Now take a breath deep and GO FOR IT!!!!! 🙂

18. Jewel Taber
    March 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm (5 years ago)

Dear Hannah … our hearts all broke for you that day. This whole community feels for you and wishes you much happiness your whole life through. I only met Jim a few times, but what I remember of him, was his smile and good nature. We told a few jokes at my brother’s expense .. which I’m sure he actually would have enjoyed. 🙂 Bless you and have a wonderful time of rest and relaxation, we are all thinking of you. Jewel Taber

19. Chris Robinson
    March 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm (5 years ago)

You have no idea what inspiration you have provided to me. You have shown me what it truly means to live your life with passion and purpose. I can feel myself changing for the better, following your example.
    One of my favorite phrases lately (when I start to feel guilty…) is, “that’s not who I am, so suck it”

You rock, kiddo. No pressure to be an example, just a lot of admiration for someone who navigates this life with grace.

xoxo. Have a blast in Belize.

20. Christine M. Brady
    March 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm (5 years ago)

21. Christine M. Brady
    March 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm (5 years ago)

22. Kathy Brodsley
    March 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm (5 years ago)

Have a wonderful time in Belize Hannah, find your PEACE, and look to the sky and show that Beautiful Smile!!! God Bless you.

23. candy driskell
    March 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm (5 years ago)

Hannah, you continue to amaze me girlfriend..what a kind soul you are…you understand what is important…follow you heart it will never lead you in the wrong direction….I am in hopes that you will have a wonderful trip…enjoy the Sun….catch a big fish for Jim…your ever constant guide…… <3

24. Ginni Tuggle
    March 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm (5 years ago)

Hannah,
    I hope you enjoy your time off. I think of you each day. My daughter experienced the tragic death of her husband 7 months ago. He was the same age as Jim. You will never stop missing your husband, but I can assure you that your pain will soften. My heart aches for you.
    Ginni

25. Micki Maslow
    March 17, 2013 at 2:06 pm (5 years ago)

<3 you are the strongest person I "know". Just from personal experience, crying and screaming under the deep beautiful blue water does wonders. After that relax and know we are all there with you!

26. Janice
    March 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm (5 years ago)

sending love and {{hugs}} from Indiana….

27. Kayrene Smither
    March 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm (5 years ago)

I love the internet, because even though we have never met and probably never would, my being in Texas, I feel like I know you! I have been blessed by your photos, your posts, your life. I can relate to having lost a love, although in another way, and so am aware of your grief, somewhat. May God bless you, and bring you comfort and peace. May you find that your vacation brings you the same. Best wishes, ks

28. Kimberleigh Donnelly
    March 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm (5 years ago)

So many hearts are with you, including mine. Thank you for sharing your life with us and allowing us to live through and care for you. Please rest well in Belize, connect with nature, raise your spirits with the sunrises and decompress with the sunsets. Looking forward to watching your life continue to bear beautiful fruit and thank you for reminding us that life is so precious, that we must live our dreams and never take one second for granted. Love and hugs to you ~Kimberleigh

29. Judy Babcock
    March 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm (5 years ago)

Cannot even imagine your pain. so sorry for your loss. Hope your trip helps to clear your mind and strengthen your will to create beauty.

30. Dianne Ksiazek
    March 17, 2013 at 3:09 pm (5 years ago)

Hannah, you amaze me! Keep growing in God and he will always see you through the most difficult situations that come your way. Have a wonderful vacation as you do deserve it and I can’t wait to see more of your photos on facebook!

31. Ddebbie Robbins
    March 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm (5 years ago)

Hannah,
    What a lovely post, and such a precious photo of you both.Jim will always be with you, and I’m sure he is so proud of you today!
    You are such an inspiration!
    I enjoy your daily posts and photos, you always make me smile and giggle.
    I hope you have a wonderful trip and do alot of giggling while you’re gone.
    Hugs,
    Debbie
    San Diego Ca

32. Carol
    March 17, 2013 at 4:01 pm (5 years ago)

Dear Hannah… You are such a truly special person. I joined up with you and your work from the picture of John & Schoep and I have enjoyed all of it! And also the terrible news of losing your dear husband… I am so sorry that you had to go through this loss. Just remember you are loved by many and we all cried with you and for you. Enjoy this time away, we love you Hannah!

Carol, Holland, Michigan

33. Carol Kneisley
    March 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm (5 years ago)

May you feel the warmth of the sun on your face, as we feel the warmth of your love

34. Karen McKee Armstrong
    March 17, 2013 at 5:11 pm (5 years ago)

Hannah, your courage, strengths, sharing of down times during these last days, hours & weeks, have proven the ultimate in becoming more of a survivor & yet you are more than that. You are an empowered woman who is blessed with so much love & more love.
    Jim’s life is a living testimony to so many, he touched mine that is for sure, as you do every day. I do look forward to your down time in Belize, a friend said to share that you must zipline, go to the ruins, feel the earth, lie down under the stars & know how deeply rooted you are.
    You have given me & so many so much of you. Now it is the earth’s turn to give back to you. You will be surrounded by angels of love & as you shared yourself, Jim’s love with you always. Thank you for allowing me to know you by the written word & see your visions through the lens. Carpe Diem.

35. Sandra Humphrey
    March 17, 2013 at 6:59 pm (5 years ago)

Love you, Hannah. Forget everything and everyone while you are gone. It is YOUR time. Everything will be there when you get back. Have fun. Get a great tan. ( Do remember sunscreen, don’t need to be lookin’ like a lobster. )

36. Johnny Burns
    March 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm (5 years ago)

I need to know you will be found naked in a tree, ridiculously drunk and singing MacArthur’s Park, preferably in a language you didn’t know you could speak. Carve Jim into the boughs as far as you can climb and beg the local police to let you go back to your hotel to re-load. Later, Watson.

37. Ma Mascarenhas
    March 17, 2013 at 8:25 pm (5 years ago)

Have a wonderful trip to Belize!!! You are a very inspiring woman. Loved this pic. Cheers and love from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

38. Patrick Quaintance
    March 17, 2013 at 8:25 pm (5 years ago)

I just want to thank you! God never let me forget I cried once! I cried a long time over this one. I needed to do this for some time but just would not let go and let it happen. For that I thank you and love you! Enjoy you trip and will see you when you get back. PDQ!

39. Tiny
    March 18, 2013 at 1:37 am (5 years ago)

True love at first site!! It is true! Love love never seen !!!! Eyes tell it all! First sight

40. Sachiko
    March 18, 2013 at 7:36 am (5 years ago)

I happened to find your site through the photo of a man and dying dog. Ever since then, I am following your site of beautiful photos and work you have done. And sad thing happened. I was so so sorry to hear the news. I lost my brother in law last May of cancer, then my best friend husband passed away all of sudden within a month. He was only 45. You and my friend are going through tough time and makes me feel so bad that there are nothing I can to actually heal the wounds in the heart. But, I hope you get through this.

41. Teresa
    March 18, 2013 at 8:04 am (5 years ago)

Hannah,
    You do not know me, but I wanted to tell you that your story, Jim’s passing, was the push I needed to get out of an awful job, which was affecting my life with my family; most particularly, my husband. So yes, with your words, “I am hoping someone is reading this who needs that extra push to just go for it!”..I went for it. I will also take time to regroup and recharge, then go in a direction I have always wanted to go, instead of where the money is, no matter how good I was at that job. I wish you well and will follow you on facebook, knowing you will be OK. It just takes time.

42. Pat HACKWETH
    March 18, 2013 at 3:34 pm (5 years ago)

Dear Hannah,

You are a beautiful woman, inside and outside. So inspiring… I just want to say that I love you.

Pat

43. Amy N
    March 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm (5 years ago)

Love love love your heart, your feisty spirit & spunky attitude. You’ve always inspired me to keep doing what I love & you do that even more so now. Open invite to San Diego for when the Padres play the Cubbies…

44. Don
    March 19, 2013 at 8:14 am (5 years ago)

I wish I would have known Jim. But I do know you and look forward to seeing you again when I visit Madison.

-Don

45. Christie Cherry / Christie's Photography
    March 23, 2013 at 8:38 am (5 years ago)

Hannah.. so sorry for your loss.. may the Good Lord keep blessing and comforting you during your time of sadness and healing and bring you peace in the memories of the life and love you shared… will keep you in our thoughts and prayer..

Christie
    Christie’s Photography

46. Linda Johnson
    March 25, 2013 at 11:34 am (5 years ago)

Always include you in my prayers. You brought so many to John & Schoep and Team Wyla! Thank you for all you do! God Bless You!

47. Julie Munro
    April 5, 2013 at 9:57 am (5 years ago)

Know that you are thought of and prayed for 1/2 way around the world by a fan of your work and someone you will most likely never meet. That is the imprint you are leaving on the world. Keep on doing what you do, you have an amazing talent and an amazing heart. Sending all my positive thoughts your way.

48. Sherry Leeper
    April 8, 2013 at 10:38 am (5 years ago)

Take all the time you need…do whatever you need to start to heal. We treasure your work, we love your spirit, we grieve for you and we surround you with love, healing and light. Don’t worry, we’ll leave the light on for you.

49. Laura Jones
    April 8, 2013 at 7:47 pm (5 years ago)

I’m so sorry, Hannah.

50. Kaz Marie Strathemore
    April 12, 2013 at 2:52 pm (5 years ago)

Always included in my prayers. I have been following you for the past few months and felt so sad for your loss. You are one very inspirational lady and your photo’s are amazing. I’ve taken up photography as a hobby again after many years away from it (wonder why I did this). I’m loving it and hope one day to get as good. I hope you enjoyed your much needed time out in Belize. x