John & Shep On Lake Superior

This 19 year old Shep being cradled in his father’s arms earlier this week in Lake Superior. Shep falls asleep every night when he is carried into the lake. I was so happy I got to capture this moment for John. By the way, John rescued Shep as an 8 month old puppy, and he’s been by his side through many adventures :).

This Facebook post has gone viral, and I am so excited to welcome new fans from all over!  I am in the midst of crazy season, and had no clue this would take off like it has.  Love to everyone!!  If you are interested in prints, please go here.

This 19 year old Shep being cradled in his father's arms last night in Lake Superior. Shep falls asleep every night when he is carried into the lake. I was so happy I got to capture this moment for John. By the way, John rescued Shep as an 8 month old puppy, and he's been by his side through many adventures :).

Contact ME! | Subscribe to Stonehouse Photography by Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts and our weekly newsletter.

424 comments for “John & Shep On Lake Superior

1. Susan Chamberlain
    July 20, 2013 at 8:58 am

The beauty of this photo/relationship surpasses magnificent. One can feel the trust, the love, the oneness of the two of them together. There is no dog and master or owner and pet….only two souls joined as one in perfect confidence about their feelings for each other.

Thank you for sharing this most precious relationship.

2. July 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

You can see the love between the two of them. I cry each time I see this picture.

3. Barbara Serrano
    July 24, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Dear Hannah, I can’t thank you enough for snapping that pic of John and Schoep. It caught my eye when I first saw it on With the fan base that it created, the lives of dogs worldwide changed forever. Just that photo taugh tthe meaning of unconditional love – we could see it!! John had an immediate and HUGE following as well as an outpouring of funds that he used to extend Schoep’s beautiful life as well as building a foundation to help other needy pets. I have a large, framed copy in my living room and I love telling their story. You made history with this one Hannah and I know that I am just one of many people in this world who thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing it.

4. Inês Petra
    August 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Eu amo os animais, fico muito emocionada com sua conduta,o mundo precisa de gente assim, com muito amor no coração. Que Deus te abençoe. Desejo toda felicidade do mundo para você!

5. Ellyn
    August 17, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thank you for this photo, John, Hannah and Schoep.

6. Rita Schalla
    January 10, 2014 at 8:42 pm

A dogs love is unconditional ~ the beauty of this picture for me is; the ‘human unconditional love’ that is rarely seen towards dogs.
    Thank you for showing me that it does exist ~

7. January 11, 2014 at 7:08 am

Thank you for this photograph. It is said that a photo is not taken, but made and that is true here.

8. Julia
    January 18, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for helping me understand that not all Americans are greedy selfish people, who care only about themselves I have seen through 10 years of my life in USA. By now I have only seen Americans who throw away their pets who -if being lucky and not being put tot sleep in shelter – are later adopted by us, poor Europeans who have the soul. Looks like there are a few Americans with heart , like John.

9. Charbel
    January 20, 2014 at 1:34 am

It is a touching story.

I want to ask if the dog is alive?

10. Matias
    June 21, 2014 at 7:39 pm

This image will live forever, on and on, to show the true meaning of love. Everyting time I see it, my eyes fill with tears of emotions. Such a tender connection. Truly inspiring.

11. Sterling Edmonds
    June 5, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Hello—Just an admirer of your photos and was wondering how to get a copy of John and Schoep for my home. I have had many very special dogs enter my life and this is a very special photo. I note the store is closed. Thanks.

12. Frederic
    June 27, 2015 at 2:53 am

This is my favourite image of all time. Compassion and love from both…

13. August 31, 2015 at 10:50 pm